Monday, September 7, 2009

Papa George




When ever I fly I think of Grandpa George. Maybe it's because he was in the Air force, or because he loved to fly. But mostly I have fond memories of picking up my  Grandparents at the airport. I have been missing Grandpa a lot lately. I miss his laugh for sure. The way he smelled of tobacco and Grandma's cooking and the way he hugged me so tight when I had to leave- I didn't think he could let go. I also miss the way he answered all my questions about WWII ( I think he liked my obsession with war stories). The thing I miss the most is they way he answered the phone " Hey Jillie" when I called every Sunday. I know you all miss him too, he was a really awesome Grandpa, dad and husband. I guess we should all be so lucky to be missed so much when we pass.  Miss you Grandpa! ( Don't you love this pic of me and grandma and grandpa? I think it's 1983)

2 comments:

Aunt Deb said...

Hi Jillie:
I have been thinking about him too. We were up the mountains yesterday and they added a Popcorn Wagon at the outlets. I bought popcorn from a young man who was working there. It made me think of being a kid and getting up early and making candy apples (that part was NOT my favorite) and then working in there selling popcorn. One time I had a con artist take me for $10.00 (remember that was in 1971) and Grandpa was so upset. Not because we lost the money but because I was so rattled. He never forgave himself for not being in the wagon with me when it happened. I hadn't thought about that in a very long time. We love you Dad/Grandpa as I know you still have that same watchful eye over all of us.

Love You,
A. Deb

PS. Thank you for the picture

Jill Hopkins said...

Aunt Deb-
I never heard that story.. When we went to the state fair I saw and old popcorn wagon and thought of him too. You know, I have that old candied apple maker in my garage and not sure what to do with it..